Friday, April 30, 2010

In a Traffic Jam

Yesterday would have been just another day in my already not-so-happening office life had I were not saved by a lunch party. As usual, the break from office was more than welcome. The food was delicious and Sandeep's witty one liners kept everybody happily occupied. Anyways, this post is not about those one liners or that delicious food, but it is connected with something that happened during the course of my journey back to office.

Having been lived in Gurgaon for more than a year, I don’t get surprised by everyday traffic jams. And same was the case when we got caught in a bad one. Once again, I found Murphy's Law apposite for a Traffic Jam. (Murphy’s Law for Traffic Jam - The row, you just left to get into a seemingly faster one, starts moving faster than the one you just came into). While I was occupied in observing the chaotic system, a friend said, "What's that!!” I turned my neck ninety degrees to my left and witnessed an unexpected scene. For the first time in my life I saw a group of nearly twenty Muslims performing their Namaz in a public place as a single entity in total harmony. It is quite likely that many will find this event a commonplace and mundane one. But to me, it was a symbol of freedom of expression. And what I felt, after watching that scene, is a tough thing to explain. I experienced tranquility amidst all the chaos and a feeling of admiration for those people. In that very moment, that single moment, I felt extremely proud to be living in such a country where all the colors and shades are accepted and respected, where you are free enough to be yourself, where love has been the way of life. I wished to see a world where that harmony will be perpetrated unconditionally.

Well, that was one traffic jam that, for a moment, made me laugh from inside.

No comments: